Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Solid Line Between Employer And Buddy
04-19-2017, 05:52 AM
Big Grin The Solid Line Between Employer And Buddy
-- Allen W.

A: One reason I'm therefore certified to disp...

Q: One-of my key employees is giving me trouble. He's started turning up late for work and has produced a negative attitude generally. The others of my employees are complaining since they are being forced to occupy his slack. I've tried speaking to him, but h-e does not appear to hear. He has become one of my best friends since I hired him five years before, therefore shooting him is out of the problem, to make matters worse. Exactly what do I do?

-- Allen B.

A: One reason I'm therefore qualified to furnish sage business assistance every week, Allen, is the fact that I've made just about every business blunder you can imagine. I am just like the Evel Knievel of the small business community, if Evel Knievel wrote a regular column on motorcycle safety.

One of the more unpleasant things I've had to do is fire a good friend who wasn't performing I used him to complete. H-e needed employment, I needed a worker, so I thought I'd give a go to him. I-t turned-out to be a match made in business hell. H-e took advantage of our friendship by spending time goofing off rather than working, arriving late for work, and making a joke from my complaints about his behavior. Due to our friendship I defended his actions to my other employees, but after having a couple weeks I knew I had to show him the doorway. We are still friends, but certainly not like we were before.

The mistake I made was employing a friend in the very first place. I allow sentiment, i.e. the want to help my friend gain job, get-in the way of my business sense. That's what you are doing now, Allen, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're likely to have to deal with this condition quickly or your complete operation could be affected by the activities of this one-person.

The blunder you have made is that you have befriended an employee, which will be something you should never do. I'm not saying you can not be helpful with your employees, but you've attached a considerable amount of emotional baggage for the relationship and the result may be the situation you are confronted with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment since they are your friends. The workplace, however, should be an even playing field for the employees, friends or not. While personnel deserve your respect (if it is gained), providing one employee preferential treatment over still another is never recommended. This is a difficulty experienced by many business owners and managers who allow them-selves to become too near their staff. Website includes new information concerning why to do it.

I understand that you had rather eat stones than fireplace him and he is now your friend over the years, but you've to consider how his behavior is impacting your business over all. What effect is he having on employee morale, on work schedules, on customer relations, on time spent solving his mistakes, and most of all, the bottom-line?

You've two options: get him back on the right track or get him off the payroll, period. That will sound cool and politically incorrect, but those are your only options. In any event, you have to be his boss first and friend second. He might have private reasons for his performance, but as his boss you're officially limited as to how much spying you can perform into his home life. As his friend, but, I expect that you have recommended what the problem is. If you're able to help him go back to being an effective member of the staff, then do so. If not, wish him well, let him go, and proceed.

Here are a few ideas that will help you establish and enforce the limits of the relationship.

Determine the relationship. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this may not take long. The relationship must be well-defined in the beginning and the details understood by all parties. Some call it 'determining the pecking order' or 'establishing the foodstuff chain.' What-ever vibrant expression you put it to use all comes right down to this: You can be their boss or you can be their pal. You can maybe not be both.

Don't employ friends or family relations. This concept is obviously versatile if you are the master of the business enterprise and you hire your children to benefit you. Chances are your offspring already recognize you as the supreme authority figure and controlling them in a small business environment is second nature. But, even this example could have a negative effect on your business as non-related employees usually expect the employer' boy, child, or best friend to work less, earn more income, and be treated better than everyone. Whether that's true or not, nepotism and cronyism can make an underlying tension among the ranks.

Establish and abide by company policies. It's recommended to have published plans concerning every part of your business, including worker behavior and performance expectations. Because of it is very nature the relationship is susceptible to favoritism. Managers can not help but favor those employees who work harder, longer, and faster, but in regards to staying with company policies, there should be no preferential treatment of preferred employees. Every worker must get a copy of the published company policies and sign a form saying that they have read, comprehend, and agree with the same.

Underneath Line: treat everybody else the same. Learn further about gmail ftp by browsing our astonishing website. It does not matter if the staff is just a vice president or a janitor; everyone within your company should be treated the same when it comes to adhering to released company policies and performance expectations. If you have an opinion about marketing, you will likely claim to research about ftp gmail.

While it's true that a vice president could be of more importance for the company than a janitor, it is also true that a vice president who is running amok can perform far more harm to your company than a janitor who lets a toilet back-up every once in awhile (there is an analogy there that I'll allow you to determine by yourself).

It is perhaps not particular, it's just business. This is exactly what the film criminals tell one another right before the shooting starts. 'Hey, Paulie, it is perhaps not particular. It's just business.' BLAM! BLAM! This is the dating exact carbon copy of saying, 'It's not you, it's me.' These kinds of claims are not likely to make everyone feel better once they are getting dumped or shot. Just ask any former employee or old partner you have used this point on.

When you have to fire a worker - even a friend - take action by the book in a professional manner.

It'll not be easy, but you have to remove the sensation and do what is best for your business.

Here's for your success.. To research more, people should look at: ftp gmail.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply